Consulting and coaching makes sense for almost any business, but ONLY if they bring REAL value to the client in the way of tangible results. If you hire a business coach, make sure you select a person that fits your needs.
Ask the following questions of yourself:
- Can this person help me? (Education, Training, Experience)
- Does this person have the will to help me? (Values, Beliefs, Interest, Motivation, Passion)
- Will we work well together? (Instincts, Drive, Modus Operandi.)
The following questions are designed for YOU to ask a prospective coach to help you decide if he/she is right for you.
- Tell me about your education, training, experience, and your track record when coaching businesses like mine?
- How can your business coaching services help MY business?
- WHY do you coach? What is your PURPOSE in coaching?
- What is your capacity for taking on new clients?
- How long do clients stay with you?
- What format do your services take (Coaching, Consulting, or both), and how do you deliver these services?
- What is the cost and length of engagement?
- Can you provide me with references from current and past clients?
In addition, be EXTREMELY clear about your needs. For example, you may need:
- Time Management
- Strategic Selling And Marketing
- Operational Planning
- People Management
Finally, make sure success is measurable. Ask:
- Looking forward, how will I be able to tell if hiring you was a good decision?
Asking these questions BEFORE you hire a coach helps you feel confident in the the relationship, allowing you to get on with the business of building trust and realizing your objectives.